List of terrorist incidents, 1997
The following is a timeline of acts and failed attempts that can be considered non-state terrorism in 1997.
- Pakistan, January 19: When a Sipah-i Sahaba leader Zia-ul Rehman Farooqi and Mauiana Azam Tariq are arrive at trial on murder charges in Lahore Session Court, following bomb blast nearby area, Lahore, Pakistan. Blame placed on the Guardian of the Friends of Prophet extremist group, which kills 25 people and injures 100.
- Algeria, January 19: A powerful bomb blast nearby Musset Cinema area, Belcourt zone, Algerian capital of Algiers, which responsible for Islamic Salvation Army fundamentalist group. Kills 21 people with injures 60.
- Cuba: Luis Posada Carriles organized a string of bombings at luxury hotels in Cuba in 1997 in order to discourage the growth of the tourism industry. One Italian tourist died.
- United States, February 24: Ali Abu Kamal opens fire on tourists at an observation deck atop the Empire State Building in New York City, killing a Danish national and wounding visitors from the United States, Argentina, Switzerland and France before turning the gun on himself. A handwritten note carried by the gunman claims this was a punishment attack against the "enemies of Palestine". His widow claimed he became suicidal after losing $300,000 in a business venture. In a 2007 interview with the New York Daily News his daughter said her mother's story was a cover crafted by the Palestinian Authority and that her father wanted to punish the United States for its support of Israel.
- Colombia, February 27: A car bomb kills seven and injures 49 in the town of Apartadó, Antioquia. No groups claim responsibility.
- Russia, June 28: A bomb explodes on a train traveling from Moscow to Saint Petersburg, killing three and injuring seven.
- China, February 25: Three bus bombs in Urumqi destroy the No. 2, 10, and 44 buses, killing nine people.
- Colombia, June 17: Eight elite police officers die after a truck bomb explodes in Bogotá. Authorities say FARC is responsible for the attack.
- India, July 8: A five cars of commuter train, carrying 500 people onboard left Bhatinda railroad station, following blast in Punjab, India. Which blame for Sikh separest group, with kills 36 people and injures 70.
- Israel, July 30: 16 people were killed and 178 wounded in two consecutive suicide bombings at Jerusalem's Mahane Yehuda open-air market.
- Sri Lanka, October 4 LTTE attack in Colombo on Hilton Hotel and Parliament kills 17, 100 wounded. Running gun battle on streets with govt forces.
- Egypt, November 17: Luxor Massacre – Islamist gunmen attack tourists at Deir el-Barry in Luxor, killing 62 and injuring 24 people, most of them European and Japanese holidaymakers.
- India, November 19: A car bomb blast nearby D. Rama Naidu Film Studio, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India, which responsibility for Paritala Ravi guerrilla group, and kills 23, include six local television journalist with injures 31 people, include local film star, Mohan Babu.
- Mexico, December 22: Acteal massacre – 46 killed while praying in Acteal, Chiapas. A paramilitary group associated with ex-president Salinas is held responsible.