List of terrorist incidents, 1972
The following is a timeline of acts and failed attempts that can be considered non-state terrorism in 1972.
- SFR Yugoslavia, January 26: Yugoslavian Airlines Flight 364 is brought down by an explosion. Officially a bomb was placed on the plane by Ustasa agents, but speculation exists that the plane was downed by two Czechoslovak SA-12 surface-to-air missiles because it has entered a restricted military area without permission. The McDonnell Douglas DC-9 airplane is destroyed and 27 of 28 passengers die. One stewardess survives a 10,160 meter (33,330 ft) drop.
- United States, January 27: Two policemen, Gregory Foster and Rocco Laurie, are shot in the back by at least three persons; four suspects in the case are members of the Black Liberation Army; one suspect is later killed in a street battle with St. Louis police; the recovered pistol matches Laurie's.
- Japan, February 19: A stand off five Japanese United Red Army and many Japanese police, riot controller begin taking the 31 years-old wife has hostarged lodge house at Karuizawa. Aftermath, nine-days, the Japanese authorities attempt to rescue a female hostage ends with a standoff between five Japanese United Red Army and the authorities, in which two policemen are killed and 12 injured.
- United Kingdom, February 22: The Official Irish Republican Army kills seven civilians in Aldershot after it bombs a British Army military barracks.
- Canada, April 4: Cuban official Sergio Pérez Castillo is killed by an explosion at the Cuban consulate at Montreal.
- Belgium, Israel, May 8: Four PLO terrorists hijacked the aeroplane of Sabena Flight 572 carrying 99 passengers and ten crew members on route from Brussels to Tel Aviv. In a mission titled "Operation Isotope", 16 members of Sayeret Matkal posed as refueling and technical personnel and stormed the plane, killing the terrorists and releasing the passengers.
- Israel, May 30: Lod Airport Massacre by the Japanese Red Army terrorists, killing 26 and injuring 78.
- Italy, May 31: A group of Carabinieri fell into an ambush in Savogna d'Isonzo, Italy: a Car bomb Fiat 500 killed 3 officers and other 2 were injured. The attack was carried out by militants of Ordine Nuovo. 
- United Kingdom, July 21: Bloody Friday nine are killed and 130 injured as Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) sets off 22 bombs.
- United Kingdom, July 31: Claudy bombings; three car bombs are detonated in Claudy, killing nine people. No group has claimed responsibility.
- Israel, West Germany, September 5: Black September kidnaps and kills eleven Israeli Olympic athletes and one German policeman in the Munich Massacre.
- United Kingdom, , September 19: The group Black September post a letter bomb to the Israeli embassy in London killing an Israeli diplomat.
- United States, October 27: Police car bombing in Los Angeles claimed by Black Liberation Army.
- United States, December 1972: A travel agency in Queens, New York, is bombed; the incident is attributed to FIN, a Cuban exile groups opposed to the government of Fidel Castro.
- United States, December 11: New York City. The VA-Cuba Forwarding Company is bombed. Cuban exile groups opposed to the government of Fidel Castro suspected.
- United States, December 28: A Brooklyn, New York bartender is held for $12000 ransom by the Black Liberation Army.